24 January 2009

I Think I'm a Wannabe Blog Whore...

So, today my friends and I headed to the fabulous Wild Kitchen on Stella Link for lunch after our T-Tapp workout. Afterwards, my friend Elyse asked me why I didn't have a food blog. Um, I do have a food blog. Sigh. I just haven't thought about this blog, or posted anything in a loooooooooooong time. My apologies!

I just signed into blogspot and realized that I have about SEVEN blogs under two different gmail addresses. I am, officially, a blog whore. And I'm not a good one.

There's no time like the present to jump in with both feet. Here's a review of Wild Kitchen, one of my favorite places for a burger in the city of Houston.
Wild Kitchen has been many restaurants over the years, but I believe it was originally a Pizza Hut. A really gross Pizza Hut where we never ate while I was growing up in Houston. I had never considered eating there, but my friends Marge and Jim got great burgers there after Ike, so I gave them a shot last fall.
There are several things that I LOVE about Wild Kitchen, but my favorite food items are the burgers, the fried avocado, the fried broccoli and the almond cookies. Yeah, you heard me. Almond cookies at a burger joint. Stranger things have happened (like the fried avocado, but I digress).
The burgers are delicious and made from meat that has never been frozen. Apparently this is hard to find these days. I had never thought about it until I read another review of this place, but it does make a difference. The burgers are griddled, then put on a griddled toasty bun with all the fixings, mayo and mustard (that would be a #5 at Sonic). But it's better than Sonic for sure. After the burger is constructed, they slap it back on the griddle for a little toasty love and extra deliciousness on the outside of the bun. I don't actually know if the toastiness on the outside of the bun comes before the construction or after, but the point is it's there. The extra toasty buttery love is there. Today I had a 7 oz. Wild Burger for $3 and change. It's really good value for money.
On to the fried bits: Wild Kitchen puts on a good fry. An excellent fry. My friends were brave and indecisive today, so they ordered the fried platter. In other words, take all kinds of yummy veggies, dunk them in batter, and fry them. Serve them to seven hungry girls who have just worked out and see what happens. The platter had fried broccoli, avocado, mushrooms, sweet potato, zuchinni, and onions. It was ALL kinds of yum. Seriously worth the carbage and the fat grams! We all played nice and shared.
I bought a package of the cookies that they have on the counter. These cookies remind me of flat thin fortune cookies with loads of sliced almonds. The cookies are right in the world. They aren't too sweet, and the texture (given Houston's issue with humidity) can range from very crispy to crispy-chewy. No matter what, though, they are a tasty treat.
At another time (or post), I'll have to tell you about the time a woman was not happy with her shrimp there. (I'm just writing this so I'll remember!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home